To enjoy playing petanque, you need to play with a boule that feels comfortable, which means choosing one that is suited to the shape and size of your hand and the length of your fingers.
• Most usual diameters for men: 74 – 75 mm
• Most usual diameters for women: 72 – 73 mm
Depending on your type of play, you will opt for a different diameter:
• pointers prefer a small diameter, which will be more difficult for shooters to strike
• shooters prefer a large diameter, as it makes it easier to hit the opponent's boule
Obut makes all the approved diameters
To meet the needs of all types of petanque players, Obut offers them a comprehensive range of boules, in all the approved diameters, a very wide choice suited to all shapes and sizes of players' hands.
Use our "Obut Blue Hand", available from the Obut paper or online catalogue, from our stand at the major tournaments or from many Obut dealers, or follow the "How to choose your boule" guide
Find out more about diameters
To be used in official competitions,
after meeting all the requirements of their specifications,
petanque boules must be approved by:
• The International and French Petanque and Jeu Provençal federations (F.I.P.J.P. and F.F.P.J.P.)
Diameters vary from: 70.5 mm to 80 mm.
A 65 mm diameter boule is used by children up to 11 years in their first competitions.